Monday, October 26, 2009

when the secret language is not so secret....

People, including myself, tend to think that being in another country means that you can speak your language and tell what ever you feel like loudly - forgetting that many people around can actually understand. Foreigners are almost shouting in their "secret" language thinking that as they cannot understand people - people cannot understand them.. I've seen (heard) it so many times already, but this weekend a girl really made me laugh!

Saturday we were selling bio - sandwiches at a Climate - party, most people really liked them and I must say myself that they were really tasty! We had prepared around 600 of them that we sold for 350 forint for 2 - great success!

Scandinavian guest workers in Hungary - sandwich experts (Foto: Marta)

Skitsmörgasar..
The story goes: I recommend a guy an eggplant-cream sandwich and he grabs one for him and one for his girlfriend. She gets the sandwich and tells really loudly with strong Stockholm accent: "Haaar du beeeetalat for den haaar jaaaakla skitsmörgasen????" (translation: "Did you pay for this fucking shitty sandwich") I was so surprised - by hearing Swedish and by what she told so I couldn't say anything, I just stared at her, so the guy said "hmm, it seems like someone understands Swedish...". My Finnish friend who was next to me answered him something in Swedish and he was so surprised, that he could only say "ööhhh, du ar fran Finland!" ("ööhhh you are from Finland"). The girl who still didn't try the sandwich started to tell how great the sandwich was and how much she liked it blabla..before she quickly disappeared

It was really funny to see how embarrassed she was when she realised that the two sandwich sellers were both Scandinavian, that's probably not what she expected at a pool-party in Hungary.

I don't like to see people embarrassed but this time she deserved it - we should all think before telling so negative things about good things or about any things...

7 comments:

  1. Yes that is so true! You have to be careful these dayes when people travel all over the world. But I must admitt that one thing I like is to go to a café, choose a nice cup of Latte sit there with a book reading and listning to people. I don't laugh at them but a smile maybe, and sometimes I want to correct them but of course I don't I am bad and unpolite when I do this eardropping. Love from Kersti

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to say: if you talk "ärans och hjältarnas språk"(the language of the glory and the heroes)you must expect that you will be understood-hopefully by everyone and everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. listening to how this girl used the language, I suspect that she never heard about Tegnér...:)

    Esaias Tegnér - Språken

    Ärans och hjältarnas språk! Hur ädelt och manligt du rör dig!
    Ren är som malmens din klang, säker som solens din gång
    Vistas på höjdernas du, där åskan och stormarna tala,
    Dalarnas lägre behag äro ej gjorda för dig.
    Spegla ditt anlet i sjön, och friskt från de manliga dragen
    Tvätta det främmande smink, kanske det snart är för sent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, it can be interesting to by accident hear small stories from someones life, especially if it's something interesting, different and not too personal:)

    actually, last time I was home that people tell all kind of very private stories loudly even in their own country where basically everyone understands. I'm sure it's the same here, but here if I listen, I'm happy to recognise the words so I forget how private their conversation actually may be...

    and good that you do not correct them.. :) then you probably would have to move soon :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I do not correct! And I am also irritated when I travel on X2000 (that's our fast train to Stockholm the capital) or even on local train to work, people talk in the mobile phones absolutley private. For exampel there is a man saying god morning to his wife? or somebody he spent the night with, and he do this to to three nights a week (on the train) and next call is to his children to say god morning. He was the one that made me chose the "silent coupé" if possible. Mobiles are not allowed in there not even the signal is allowed. love from Kersti

    ReplyDelete
  6. and don't be irritated, not worth to spend your energy on that, be happy to live in such a sophisticated country where they actually do have the option to choose silent wagon at the train...! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha!!
    ja, det vart ju hysteriskt :D
    but i must say that the szendvidz didnt look so special on the out side ... but it was really tasty!

    nin

    ReplyDelete