Thursday, October 22, 2009

special things are made with love

Today one of my mittens decided to not to come with me so it jumped out from my pocket just outside the office entrance. It didn't care that it was little wet and cold on the ground, or maybe it didn't know before jumping. Anyway, I guess it wanted a little adventure on its own, it's normal as since it was born it was always together with its sister left-hand mitten.

the adventurous right hand mitten on its own

special mittens
Loosing my mitten for half an hour made me think of the value of/in different things. This pair of mitten is special to me, special because it was the first pair I made on my own (ok, with kind support of my mother.. but still). I invented the pattern, I made it all even the mistakes I made them myself. I remember how I patiently (more or less atleast...) knitted them, and how proud I was when they were finally ready.

So the value of those mitten is much higher than any mittens I could ever buy anywhere. Handmade personalised things have a meaning that mass produced goods can never get.

why handmade things feels better
To use handmade things feels good for many reasons. It is unique. It is selected and not bought as a dozen-thing. It was made by someone and not by a machine, so it has its own charm. It carries love from the person who made it. Normally it is not replaced that hastily which is good also from an environmental point of view. It looks pretty. The soul and body feel better wearing something handmade; cold hands and fingers in handmade mittens will not only be warm but also happy hands and fingers.

Luckily the adventurous glove didn't go much further, so we (me and the left hand mitten) found it again on our way back! I think also the wild mitten was happy to be found again, it seemed a bit lonely there all alone. From now on I will pay much more attention to not to loose it again, mittens are happier when they are two...:)

two happy mittens together again

2 comments:

  1. And also when all three of you are together. To day I visited a knitting café in Kristianstad in the south of Sweden. I thought I would make a nice pair of cuffs, but I knitted and knitted took it all up again, then I went home and there in loneliness in the sofa, I suddenly made half a cuff. Yes, Bodil, it is very nice to make mittens or get them from somebody that have made them for you. love Kersti

    ReplyDelete
  2. to undo knitting is so boring, and it's hard to get motivated to redo it again.. so well done! :)

    you are lucky to have a nice knitting cafe nearby, I wish I had one here..

    ReplyDelete