Thursday, November 12, 2009

Vera's cake - a serbian pleasure

India was a great source of inspiration, and I also got some nice ideas for blogging that I hope to share here little by little later on. But first, as not all of you are lucky enough to have dinner with Vera once in a while, I want to share a recipe of a very delicious cake so that you can also try it. I'm positive you will also love it!

Yesterday I went to an African dinner with specialties from Uganda. It was a very nice evening, and in addition to the great pleasure of meeting friends again, I also discovered how tasty a mix of peanuts, cabbage and tomatoes can be, and I finally learnt to make the famous Serbian Vera-cake.

The cake is just amazing, so I will share the receipt here. All credits to Vera, a real expert in preparing this cake and who also composed the detailed description below on how to make it.

the famous Vera-cake

Vera's Cake!

2 cups of flour mix with 1 BIG spoon of soda bikarbona (NaHCO3;) and 3 BIG spoons of cacao.
add 2 cups of sugar, 1 cup of sunflower oil and 2 cups of yogurt.
mix with wooden spoon, put in baking pan which is covered by oil and a bit of flour.
bake ~30 min on 200C, carefully! it should be soft, and separate from walls of pan.

mmmm CREAM
cook 10 BIG spoons of sugar and 10 BIG spoons of water till boiling.
move the pot from fire.
add 125 g of margarine,
when it is melted put 100 g of dark cooking chocolate and 150 g of coconuts.

hot CREAM should go over HOT cake!

cool it, cut and share with family and friends :D

Cultural adjustment
This cake was the last dessert I had before leaving and the first one when I came back, so even if it is not exactly in line with the suger-free diet that I'm doing, maybe it can be justified as cultural-adjustment assistance or jet-lag cure. This explanation is also quite convenient as I will be traveling a bit more in the near future, I may need such adjustment support :) And as I feel all fine, I make the conclusion that it did work well so far..:)

4 comments:

  1. sounds like a really good cake! Maybe you'll bake it in xmas??? By the way, I heard that the best cure for jetlag is to adopt to the country's, to which you travel to, food. So if you arrive in the morning you should have breakfast eventhough you more feel for dinner. This might hold for the sort of food that you eat as well??? So if the ones you hang out with eat cakes you should do it as well:))))

    Now I am waiting for K. We are going to Graffiti cafe for baked potatis...... Jp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yepp for sure I'll make it for xmas - it will be perfect for the barbecue in the forest! and I think you are right, I had lots of great Indian food and now I'm back and my friends are eating this yammy cake so I do as well...:)

    have a great yoga - weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it sounds exactly what we need for the forrest party at xmas eve! Long for it! But before that I want to know more about Vera and an african party???
    Have a new nice trip next week! love Kersti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vera is a Serbian friend currently living in Budapest, really nice girl and also expert in cake-making! :)

    The African party was a dinner, and it was Sarah who made us taste specialities from Uganda. Very nice! There were many different things such as red beans, sweet potatoes, some special fried bread, and something really delicious prepared of peanuts, cabbage and tomatoes. If I have the chance to learn to make that dish before Christmas maybe we can have it as a novelty at the Christmas table this year...

    ReplyDelete