Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Life without mobile phone.

I'm without mobile phone since a few weeks as mine decided to stay in India. Sometimes I thought of stop using mobile phone, so from that perspective it was good to loose it; to test to be without and see the consequences.

For sure there are some positive and some negative aspects not having a mobile phone. We got so use to that everyone has one, I realised that many people almost think you are a freak not having one.

What is more tricky being without
  • people is contacting you less as they think it is not possible without mobile
  • more difficult to make spontaneous plans
  • easily remain in contact and update friends and family (emotional or practical issues)
  • society is expecting you to have one, so some services are only available for those with mobile
  • even a simple mobile phone offers practical services such as alarm clock and calculator

The good things being without
  • you feel more free
  • plans can not be changed in last minute
  • you do not send messages you regret later :)
  • some people forget the company they are with because they are too busy with their phones
  • loudly talking in mobile phone is disturbing for other people
  • you don't risk to loose it or have to remember to charge it
  • you don't think there was an accident just because you have no news
  • there is absolutely no risk for sms loans and other similar services (I'm not really concerned but still it's a good point)
  • probably more that I cannot think of right now..:)
Everybody has one...
One of the most interesting thing being without is that you realise that the society expects you to have one. In addition to all people asking for mobile number, there are also situations when you must have one. For example, at the airport in Delhi, I couldn't connect to the wireless internet which was even free of charge. reason; I needed a code to be sent to my mobile to connect. I also remember one time in Stockholm when it got really complicated to buy a bus ticket. The new system with less cash makes it really easy for people with to buy a ticket, but really difficult for those without mobile phone (as a side note, finally I found a place to buy my ticket in an old traditional way)

The mobile phone also contains lots of information. I was lucky as mine was an old one, so no photos and other data stored. I can imagine that for people with really hightech phones it is more painful to loose it.

But I did loose all the phone numbers. And I know that I'm suppose to have written them somewhere else, but of course I have not. :( Anyway, most numbers I will find again and the others maybe I don't need. There will be people that I will only meet if we run into each other by chance. But I also got the feeling that maybe it was good to loose the numbers, and some old sms, something like a detox but this is a feeling I have to explore better myself before I can explain it properly.

Even if I do find many good aspects of being without mobile phone, I think I will buy another one soon, and instead turn it off once in a while. To connect with friends and family is so important and a small sms or call can mean so much!

Of course I cannot add a photo this time. I never thougth of taking a photo of my phone and now it's gone..

5 comments:

  1. I feel the same freedom without mobile after overcoming the initial abstinence syndrom. I guess it is similar with every dependence.

    I think one of the reasons is the fact that a certain vital energy leaks out through all these communication means (mobile, internet, TV) which otherwise we keep inside.

    What is more they are a certain distracting factor which sometimes prevents us from concentrating on what we are doing or the person we are with.

    The feeling of being constantly reachable is also a pain and somehow steps into our intimate space.

    The good thing with having to build your address book is that you will build it by priority and will realise which numbers you really need....:-)

    I wonder if you lost your phone or if it got lost?

    Good post, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't agree with the thought of being connected all the time, I don't answere the phone when I don't want! Anyhow, I can't live without it, as everybody knows who know I love sending sms and mms (text and pictures) but I really hate to talk on phone. But as Bodil said, you need it for so many reasons to, and that is a nice techniq I think at least. And I really feel you are so far away, not close as when you are on the phone. Love from Kersti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting to hear different opinions and thoughts on the mobile vs. no-mobile topic! Thanks a lot for comments!

    I notice that you think I'm far away as you even send me less emails now when I'm without phone.. is there any relation?? :)

    and for the loosing v.s getting lost, surely it got lost..:) This is an interesting topic, maybe for another blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I am lazy emailing of some reason, that is not only to you but to everybody! Sorry! really long to see you soon! Love

    ReplyDelete