Thursday, September 17, 2009

the smile of helping

I think if everybody tried to help a little bit more here and there, we would all be happier.. Last week in Holland, a short exchange of help is still causing a big smile whenever it comes to my mind so I'm sharing this little story

the art of stamping a ticket..
Arriving to a new city, my friend had kindly given me very detailed instructions on how to take the tram; where to buy the ticket, how many squares to stamp, where to find tram number 3 etc. It seemed very easy, so I bought my ticket and went to stamp it. The machine only let me stamp 1 square instead of the 3 as I had been instructed. With my mind somewhere else I tried in the same way several times without success.. Anytime I leave Hungary, I take advantage of the situation to speak a little with the people at the street, so I asked the lady standing next to the machine if she knew how to do with my ticket.

the pleasure of helping each other..
She answered with a friendly smile; "Let me see" and placed my ticket very very close to her face and started to feel with the fingers of both hands. Surprised I looked at her, and I realised that she had a white stick and a dog....! With a smile on my mind, I kept on the conversation as it is normal to ask a blind for help in checking details such as weather the tram ticket is correctly stamped or not... and she told me that I should fold it to stamp three squares. It all made sense, I just didn't think of it...:) . I thanked her and she said: "And then maybe you can help me; can you see the entrance??" I looked around and told her "we are standing next to some big glass doors, maybe that can be the entrance you are looking for?" We both smiled very much, said goodbye and split.

Thanks to the help of the other, we were both happy; me to know how to stamp the ticket, and she to know where to go...:)

Isn't it nice to help each other - we shouldn't underestimate who can help. In this case, unexpectedly a blind and a visitor could solve each other's small issues...

Going up the stairs to catch the tram, I started to laugh because the story was so nice and beautiful. The lady next to me looked at me with a smile and I had to tell her the story and we were laughing happily together

What a nice start of mine, hers and most likely also the blind lady's evening..

4 comments:

  1. wow its certainely helps to be friendly! the blind women would never expect that someone would ask her for help is my guess! kram kram K

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a nice story! When I feel down and bad I try to be nice to feel nicer, for example, our railwaystation, which is close to where I live and I pass every day, is most of the time ugly. But they are cleaning it every day, and I use to say how nice you clean, or how good it smells, (only the trues) but it helps to tell somebody something good and you feel better yourself, when you come there nexr day and get this big nice happy smile from the cleaner. Also a good start of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a hilarious story! I am still laughing, but to be honest I think you B. is one of few that would end up asking a blind person about ticket-details!!!

    This story made my day;)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy you liked it :)

    and yes, I completely agree; more appreciation to people who is doing a good job and more smiles for everyone!

    ReplyDelete