Monday, September 14, 2009

like a love story..

Today, coming back from Sweden, I fell asleep as usual as soon as the engines of the plane started. Then for some reason I woke up, and half asleep half awake I was listening to the neighbors' conversation for the rest of the flight.

Amazing what you can get to know just sitting next to someone..:)




Budapest - a beauty

There were four Swedish persons apparently going to Budapest for holidays. One of them had been before, and she described the city in such a beautiful way, like someone in love: What to do, what to see, what to try and also what is strange there.


Very positive adjectives accompanied the more factual information describing the baths, the view from the Margit bridge, the thermal baths, the interesting architecture which is in many cases hidden, the sunset over the Buda hills, the Danube, the flowers on the Margit island, etc etc. Of course she also added some historical stories as they are always told to foreigners; the tragic story of loosing big part of the country, the braveness of the Hungarians and how they have suffered throughout history...



Hungarian to know..

She knew Budapest so well, and the girl asked also to learn some useful sentences; The women said with a smile in her voice; "You can always learn köszönöm, kerem egy sőrt, you will not need anything else. You know, probably nobody will speak with you, and even if you try, they are likely not to understand you; it is not just that type of country, but you will get around easily anyhow."


In a love story, you accept the less favorable part of the other as well, often even turning them into something positive. Like; yes, nobody speaks with you, but they also leave you to be how you want to be..


the luck to live here..

I smiled internally, thinking that this lady and I, we have the same understanding of this place. And hearing her vision of Budapest, made me feel happy to be on my way home again after some traveling, even if it means that I cannot use my new winter coat for a while..:)


Again, I realised that I'm lucky to live, at least for a while, in this beautiful city - somehow it compensates for its small mistakes. Today, I even kept the smile when discovering that the sky today is grayer here than the one I left in Sweden a few hours earlier.


Maybe, tonight I'll go to see the view over the Margit bridge..



3 comments:

  1. and sometimes you happens to hear someting you relised you needed to be remebered of! love K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure it wasn´t me sitting there besides you? I also love the beauty and the sadness that is over Budapest, and as you say all hidden archtecture you discover walking around. Specieally the beaty of the railwaystation beside where you live drawn by Mr Eifel himselv. Yes I know, it is not exactly hidden!
    love Kersti

    ReplyDelete
  3. ..not hidden, but very beautiful indeed

    and K, you are right, and this is exactly what happen to me, I needed it..!

    ReplyDelete