Tuesday, December 1, 2009

my new way of learning Hungarian

I find it a bit tricky to learn Hungarian I must admit. Or not only tricky but actually very difficult. Other languages I tried I have learnt relatively quickly, but maybe I just don't match with Hungarian. Sometimes I'm thinking of how fast I would probably have learnt the language if I would have been in almost any other country.. Anyway, now I somehow feel more motivated to learn. This doesn't mean that I will learn but at least the attitude is the right one.. :)

The good places to practice..
So far I liked to practiced at the market on Saturdays. There, the topics are limited to "are the apples good" "how much does it cost" or asking for something that I cannot see directly on the table... Even if I really like to practice with these small and friendly ladies, the topics are limited however.


Lehel market - quite a good place to learn Hungarian

I also practice with the taxi drivers and the people working in my little shop down the street. and other friendly people I come across. Maybe I should take a course, I have been thinking of it, but my level is so strange. I know many words, I understand quite a bit, but my capability of putting together sentences is limited... so which level to join??

A new way of learning
Anyway, the last month I found the perfect way of learning!!! I go for manicure and pedicure every week and this is my hour to practice Hungarian. The girl is really friendly and she doesn't speak English which makes it the perfect occasion to do conversation practice and the topics are more varied than at the market. She is also very patient, and together we do communicate quite well I must say.


my nails are not as nice yet.. but soon soon! :)

Today we were speaking about my trip to Frankfurt and she asked what I bought. I didn't know the word for candle so I told her that I bought a "kis naturel lampa" :) :) and imitated how to light a candle with matches. She smiled alot and told me the Hungarian word: gyertya. I then could tell her that I found those wax candles at the market that we use to have at home when I was a child and we continued speaking about many other small things.. like weekend plans, company christmas parties, and more..

I feel very happy about this new way of learning. Of course some studying would also do good, but right now I'm quite satisfied with my little progress I'm doing at the Szepsegszalon ...:) As she is listening to me, repeating and talking in a comprehensive way I'm gaining confidence with this Magyar language. Also she is very friendly and the best is that my hands and feet are being taken care of at the same time...:) so I think 8 euro is well worth the money!!

4 comments:

  1. What a splended idea! Like you to have both nice feet and hands, and a bit more Hungarian language. But also long to practise Swedish with you,even I can't do you hands, but maybe we could cook together or discuss computer website blog ideas? love Kersti

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, I really like it! It's not fast but it's something and it makes me feel good, so it's perfect! :) Will be very happy to also speak some Swedish, to cook, and knit and discuss all kind of things at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, what a good idea! I had private lessons for years and my nails were a mess. That's a business niche that similar professions should explore.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. you see.. :) in Swedish we say "all ways are good except the bad ones.."

    don't you think that hair dressers fills somewhat a similar function? people can tell small stories and somebody is listening to them.. the difference in my case is that I don't need to speak about problems but practice on making sentences.. :)

    I think it works for basically all business with maybe an exemption for dentists..

    ReplyDelete