Tuesday, December 8, 2009

creative meditation

Knitting is creative and at the same time very relaxing. Kind of meditation. I enjoy it very much. Sometimes it goes all without thinking and sometimes full concentration is needed. In any case nothing else will take the concentration and attention, and thoughts are not wondering around, so complete peace is absolutely possible.

German/Turkish slippers made in Hungary
At the Christmas market in Frankfurt, I found some really nice wool yarn and a description of how to make slippers. The description was from a German company (http://www.coatsgmbh.de/Selbermachen/Stricken/) and the wool was from Turkey. Luckily the nice lady kindly explained the necessary steps and they were actually very few. It turned out to be really easy and actually almost too fast to make :) Also time passes so quickly in good company and a cup of tea...



How to make slippers
First of all, this may be the best for beginners to start with as possible mistakes can not even be seen...:) I used wool yarn and needles number 8. The instructions below can be followed approximately as the final size and shape will largely depend on the washing and shaping after wards..

For slippers size 38, the instructions would be as following (my free translation)

Start with 38 stitches and knit 32 rounds on two needles (1 row garter stitch, 1 row purl stitch, 1 row garter etc etc)
After having made 32 rounds, divide the stitches on four needles and continue only with garter stitches. After 26 rows, start to decrease for the toes. Stitch 1; lift the last but one, knit one, and lift the knitted one over. Stitch 2; knit together stitch 1 &2. Stitch 3 as stitch 1 and stitch 4 as stitch 2. Continue like that until there is 2 stitches on each needle.

Saw together the heel - done!


The slipper was now 35 cm long each, and it looked really big!! Make the second one as the first one, and put them in the washing machine together with some jeans or towels. It was written 40 degrees but after the 1st washing my pink sandals were still size 48 or something :)

Luckily my mum knew the solution, so I washed them again in 60 degrees, and after this wash they were proper size for a quite small kid.. But with help some newspaper and my own feet I managed to make them bigger again and they became exactly my size :)


I guess I don't have to tell that I' m quite proud of them.. I hope to start the second pair soon. This was great fun!!

Knitting is cool not only because of the peace and calm, but also because it's such a good feeling to create something with the hands without using computers.... It’s also very nice to knit together with other people, somehow it’s good for talking…

3 comments:

  1. i agree knitting could be as meditation or therapy or a way of using your patient in a new way and become happy and pleased with what you have created/ love karo

    ReplyDelete
  2. ils sont les chaussures que nous avons acheté en Allemagne. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knitting is a magic act for me so chapeau for you. I can understand its meditation value. I imagine that historically, women have done it not only because of necessity but also because of this. I guess fishing is also such an activity. I do neither knitting nor fishing so now I realise I am a bit short on meditational techniques. Maybe a New Year resolution....

    ReplyDelete