Friday, December 18, 2009

sauteed apples better than appels cooked in butter

Sauteed apples is one of the ingredients in a new recipe for cakes that I just learnt to make. It sounds quite sophisticated, right?? It also sounds French and it's not a secret that I'm fascinated by all that is French. Actually before moving to France I kind of thought that everything was good there, and to me it sounded like everybody speaking French is really intelligent (hehe, actually it still does to me.. :) Now I know that not ALL is good and great there, and also not all French people are very clever, but I keep my fascination and still think that everything can get little improved by adding something French :) :) If so only the name...

Sauteed apples would normally have scared me a bit, but with the new inspiration from the cooking course, I was happy to give it a try. And, after a quick search on Internet I realised that it is very easy to prepare. I tried several versions, each time little different but still very good. One good piece of advice would be to choose sweet apples, and then not adding any sugar (or only very little).

Sauteed apples
1/4 cup butter
4 apples
2 teaspoon corn stand
1/2 cup cold water
some brown sugar (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

How to make it..
Melt the butter, cut the apples in pieces and add them to the butter. Stir until tender (approximately 5 min). Dissolve the flour in the water and add it together with (the sugar) and the cinnamon. Stir while it's cooking together for a couple of minutes

Ready..

Other versions..
In some other recipes, they also included apple cider, honey, juice from a half lemon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. I tried different versions, and it's hard to tell which one is best. Already the simple one was really good. It is melting in your mouth and if there is not too much sugar it still keeps the fresh taste.

So it sounds sophisticated but it's really basic to make. Maybe sauteed apples is a very good illustration of how everything gets improved adding some French to it. I mean, apple cooked in butter sounds already less appetizing...

Sauteed apples is delicious warm or cold, on it's own, with chocolate, with banana split, for breakfast, for lunch, for dinner or in between...:) You see I tried it all...


Dessert for Sunday brunch... Bananasplit with sauteed apples

3 comments:

  1. ..and if anyone knows how to turn the pictures in blog spot, that would be of great help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made and ate suateed apples:) Yummie, yummie. So simple yet so good. It was again great as desert. The combination of warm suateed apples with ice cream and some chocolate sprinkels. I added some pieces of clementine this time for the extra fruty dimension:) Also made pasta with tomato sauce. I am absolutely stuffed right now, haha:)

    Doei, Michiel

    ReplyDelete
  3. try opening the picture with windows-viewer (open windows explorer, right mouse click on picture, open with..., windows viewer). In windows-viewer you have two options to rotate the picture. Now try to upload the picture again. Hope this will help:)

    ReplyDelete