Thursday, December 17, 2009

listen to the silent crying

Once in a while for quite some time, I could hear some crying noise in the background. Some low intense almost silent crying asking for help. Actually, the complaining crying came from my back where I had some pain and I started to think of all kind of possible sicknesses that I could possible have... Now, when the pain is gone, I know that it was some of my approximately 600 muscles who were crying from the overall bad treatment and from the everyday sitting in front of computer. They tried to tell me that it couldn't go on like that, and their small initial protests got worst and worst.

They were not always crying with the same intensity, some days they even stayed quiet. Anyway, what ever they tried with, I just kept on ignoring them.

Massage Swedish style (picture from Internet)

One evening in June, I was out walking in my neighborhood and I felt terribly miserable for different reasons. Walking there feeling sorry for myself, I passed a beauty salon and I impulsively I went in and asked for a massage. Luckily, the lady was there and happy to receive me. It felt like somebody let me out of prison when her soft strong hands helped my tired and blocked muscles to relax and they stopped to cry. Since then, I'm going there every Wednesday and only being out of Budapest would stop me from that. In November, I was lucky to try massage in both Malaysia and India.

Malaysian/Chinese massage
In Malaysia, I had a Chinese massage. It was absolutely great, but would have been even greater if the girl didn't look that sad. I'm sure she wished to be somewhere else. She did a fantastic job, but afterwards I saw her sad eyes. She didn't speak any English, but her body language told that she was very unhappy. Probably she found it hard to be far from home, and likely she didn't get much of the 20 euro I paid for the one hour massage.

Ayurvedic massage in India
In Rikikesh in India, I had the most wonderful ayurvedic treatment. I combined shoriada with oil massage. You are completely naked and it's very intense and oily. In the massage, no muscles are forgotten and the pleasure is complete and really great.


Oil ayurvedic massage (picture from Internet)

The shridara treatment is a facial massage, part of the ayurvedic treatments. The dropping hot oil on the front heat makes you feel like the head is disolving and disappearing in a very pleasant way. I think you simply must try, very difficult to put in words, but when I close my eyes I can recall the feeling.

Shridara treatment (picture from Internet)

So surely next time I'm going to India, I'll try some similar treatment. But, in the meanwhile I'm still very grateful to have such a nice massagelady just a few blocks away.

She is such a sunshine, and her positive warm energy is transmitting to every muscles she touches. Writing this reminds me of my sister who use to tell speak about every-day-luxary (vardagslyx). The massage qualifies well, but I actually don't think of it as something luxary any longer. It became such a natural part of a survivial and wellbeing strategy and it is completely needed for someone who spends the days in an office. I guess I will discover what a luxary it is the day I move to a place where I cannot afford it anylonger..

My young body....
Speaking of massage always makes me think of a girl in Albania who, when I mentioned that I had an excellent massage in Tirana, told me "I hate massage, and my young body doesn't need it" Hehe, such a strange statement and maybe she meant that my old body does need it. And she didn't actually know how right she was...:) This saying "my young body.." has since then became a saying at my workplace.. It still makes me smile..

And now I know that it was not only the muscles that were crying in the summer time, it was actually me. I guess it's just easier to accept muscle pain than some psychological pain, fears and worries. But the good news is that massage is helping for both...:)

2 comments:

  1. Hehe, this makes me think that I should get in touch with my masseur whom I haven't contacted for several years. Fantastic thing!

    My massage experience includes a massage salon in Hanoi where an Australian friend took me. I paid for 1/2h but at the end I hardly had the force to ask for 1/2 h more. There was a menu of techniques which I could choose including the ones you mentioned.

    Last year in Bejing I only felt like having a foot massage and it was also great. While my feet were soaking in hot water he warmed me up with neck massage and said it was not quite right and he could help me fix it within a couple of months....

    ReplyDelete
  2. fix it within a couple of month..doesn't sound that promising, and if that's already some time ago maybe you actually should contact your masseur quite urgently.:)

    But maybe he solved it a little with the warm up and then with the foot massage, different parts in the foot is suppose to correspond to different parts of the body so then he probably found the good part of your foot to work with...

    ReplyDelete